Virtual Private Networks (VPN) are fast becoming indispensable companions for passionate Internet users ready to navigate the online world. They can improve security, bypass regional content restrictions, and in some cases even improve network performance. However, without built-in VPN support on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S, overcoming these issues can be a daunting task. Here’s how to use a VPN on Xbox Series X or S in easy and quick steps.
Why use a VPN on Xbox?
For most Xbox users, the main benefit of a VPN is to bypass geo-restrictions, overcoming blocks set up on individual websites. It can open your console to regional content that is otherwise unavailable, including video services, apps, games, and more. In short, a VPN service is comparable to an encrypted tunnel that moves your internet activity between your device and a host server, which masks and anonymizes your digital footprint.
What to know:
Here are some basic points you need to know before installing a VPN on Xbox
- You cannot install a VPN directly on an Xbox Series X or S.
- You need a PC, Mac, or VPN router to use VPN with Xbox Series X or S.
- Install a VPN on your PC, Mac, or router, and then connect your console through it.
When you’re connected to an Xbox Series X or S on the Internet, your IP address is revealed in the same way as when you surf the web using a computer. Content through services like Netflix is also tied to regions based on your IP. The best way to hide your IP address and access to regions is to use a VPN.
Using a VPN on Xbox Series X or S:
Since the Xbox Series X / S is not designed to work with VPNs, there are no VPN apps that work directly on these consoles. This means you can’t just download an app and automatically connect via VPN. You can still use your Xbox Series X or S with a VPN, but you’ll need to use a computer or router for everything to work.
Step by Step Guide to use a VPN with Xbox Series X or S:
1. Windows PC: This method requires a Windows PC and a VPN that works with Windows. You set up a VPN to secure your computer, and then share your Internet connection with your Xbox Series X or S.
2. Mac: This method works the same as the PC method, but uses a Mac instead.
3. Router: To use this method, you need a VPN router. The VPN is configured directly on the router, allowing every device on your network to connect through it. This includes your Xbox Series X or S.
How to Use VPN on Xbox Series X or S from PC:
You can use any Windows PC as an intermediary to connect your Xbox Series X or S to the internet via VPN, as long as the PC has two methods of connecting to the internet or another network. You set up a VPN on your PC, connect your PC to the Internet, and then connect your PC to your Xbox console.
This PC method requires two Ethernet ports or one Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi connection to work. One allows your computer to connect to the internet, and then the computer shares its internet connection with your Xbox console through the other. Because the computer is running a VPN, the Xbox is secure. Here’s how to connect an Xbox Series X or S to a VPN using a Windows PC:
Setting up a VPN on your Windows PC.
- Connect your computer to your Xbox Series X or S using an Ethernet cable.
- If you choose to share your VPN over Wi-Fi, you will need to connect your Xbox Series X or S to a dedicated Wi-Fi connection from your computer instead.
- Make a right-click on the start button of your Windows PC.
- Go into the setting option (a gear icon) and open the network & internet tab.
- Right-click on your VPN connection.
- Click Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your VPN icon. In our example, we are using a VPN with private internet access.
- VPN network adapter settings for Windows 10
- Click on the Features tab.
- Click the Share tab icon.
- Check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection box.
- Click the Select Private Network Connection icon box.
- Choose your Xbox Ethernet connection.
- And finally, click OK.
Note: If you want to use Wi-Fi then select your Wi-Fi connection or your other from the drop-down box.
Your Windows PC now shares your VPN connection through the selected method.
How to Connect an Xbox Series X or S to a VPN Using a Mac
Your Mac can also share its internet connection, so you can connect your Xbox Series X or S to a VPN through it. This method works the same as the Windows PC method, although the steps are different. You still connect your Mac to the Internet via a single connection such as Ethernet, Thunderbolt, or Wi-Fi, and then share an Internet connection with an Xbox Series X or S via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Here’s how to connect an Xbox Series X or S to a VPN using a Mac:
Setting up a VPN on your Mac.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Click Sharing.
- Select Internet Exchange.
- Choose one Connection to Share from. (For example, if you’re connected via Thunderbolt, select Thunderbolt. If you are connected via Ethernet, select Ethernet)
- Choose how you will share your connection. (Select Wi-Fi when sharing via Wi-Fi or Ethernet when connected to Xbox via an Ethernet cable)
- If sharing is via Wi-Fi, check the settings and click OK.
- Click the checkbox next to Internet Sharing, then click Start when prompted.
Connect your Xbox Series X or S to your Mac via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. As long as the VPN is active on your Mac, your console will connect through it.
How to use a VPN on Xbox Series X or S without a PC
I think this is one of the best methods if you set up a VPN on your router. Because every device that connects to your network will connect through the VPN. Devices that support this are sometimes referred to as VPN routers. But here is a problem, this method is the most difficult to set up. The specific process varies from one router to another, and your router may not work with this method at all. The best and one of the easiest options is to purchase a router that supports VPN firmware out of the box but it has a drawback it cost you a little bit more.
Here is a short guide on how to set up a VPN on a router:
Install a new firmware (Operating System within your router)
After a new firmware, you can control your router with a VPN
The most popular firmware is DD-WRT and Tomato
I hope this article is helpful for those who are searching for how to use a VPN on Xbox if you feel it’s helpful share it with your friends and family members and leave a comment in the comment box.