To transfer files “over the air” or set up pairing with other gadgets and peripherals, you need to know how to turn on Bluetooth on a PC. On different operating systems, the procedure will vary slightly. One thing remains in common: all laptops are equipped with a built-in module designed to interact with various devices, so almost every device has a Bluetooth function.
Turning on Bluetooth on a Windows 7 laptop
Before you turn on Bluetooth on a PC 7 version of Windows to pair devices, you should check if the drivers are installed and how well they work. To do this, you need to open the standard Start menu. Next, open the “Control Panel”.
A window will open where you should find the “Device Manager” section. Select “Bluetooth” from the drop-down menu. After that, in the drop-down tab, you should see a list of connected devices. If there are several modules, you will have to take certain steps.
Click on the name of the element, and go to the “Properties” line. In the window that appears, you need to switch to the “Driver” tab. Then click on the “Update” button. Next, you will be prompted to auto-update or install the Bluetooth components manually by specifying the path using the “Explorer”.
If the drivers are up to date, a corresponding notification will appear on the monitor, indicating that the device is working normally and does not need to be updated.
Note! If you see the “Enable” button when viewing the properties, then you need to click on it in order to put the module into action.
How to turn on Bluetooth on a Windows PC step by step?
- To turn on the Bluetooth function, do the following:
- Open the “Control Panel” tab from the “Start” menu.
- Go to “Network Control Center”.
- A new window will pop up, go to “Change adapter settings”.
- Click on this inscription and further click on the sub-item “Bluetooth network connection”.
- Then you should right-click on the icon and select “Enable” in the list of functions that appear.
Using the instructions given, you can understand how to enable Bluetooth on a PC in Windows 7 and earlier versions of the OS. The functionality of the professional and maximum “seven” contains some differences, however, the principle of setting, as well as turning on / off the options, is similar for them. On some models of PCs and laptops, you can find an icon or even a separate Bluetooth power button. Usually, the latter is located in the corner of the top row of keys.
Steps to take for Windows 8 users
Compared with previous versions, the G8 interface is more comfortable in managing wireless access. When looking for an answer to the question of how to enable Bluetooth on a Windows PC of the eighth version, you will need to change the connection settings.
Step-by-Step Instructions Include the Following Steps:
- First of all, you should open the right panel, move the mouse cursor over the corner, and go to the “Settings” section.
- Then open the “Change settings” tab.
- In the third stage, you need to go to the wireless connection settings.
- After that, the module panel will be displayed, with which you can turn on Bluetooth.
After completing the above manipulations to establish a wireless connection with portable devices, you need to open the “Device” tab in the “Change settings” item. To find a new gadget, you will need to use the search. This is the “Add device” function.
To establish a wireless pairing with a smartphone, it is recommended to use the “Discovery” option in the menu. If the connection fails, you will have to look into the “Device Manager”. And here you can already see if this module is connected.
Owners of the Windows 8.1 version will have to follow a slightly different path to activate the wireless connection. In the menu “Change settings” you need to click on “Computer and devices” and here you will find the inscription “Bluetooth”. For the convenience of managing paired gadgets, it is recommended to install a utility designed to work with wireless adapters.
Turn Bluetooth on or off in Windows 10
The buttons for activating the wireless module in Windows 10 can be found on several panels, so the connection process should not be difficult. For owners of computers and laptops based on the latest version of Windows, the procedure will look like this:
- Launch the Start menu by clicking on the logo key.
- Expand the “Settings” section
- In the menu that opens, go to “Devices”.
- On the left panel, find the “Bluetooth” subsection. On the right, move the slider with the inscription of the same name to the on position.
Answering the question of how to enable Bluetooth on a Windows 10 PC, users of this version will not need to check drivers and go to other menus before activation. It is enough to switch the slider so that the inscription “On” appears.
Note! It is important to note that in Airplane mode, the wireless connection is automatically turned off.
And the Bluetooth icon in Windows 10 can be found on the bottom notification bar. After clicking on it, a menu of functions opens, allowing you to perform certain actions to control the module.
Turn Bluetooth on or off in Windows 10
With the question of how to activate the Bluetooth, it seems, they figured it out. And there should not be any difficulties. But how to turn on Bluetooth headphones on a PC?
To listen to music wirelessly, you must first check if the adapter is enabled on your computer. The Bluetooth icon should be highlighted in blue. This can be checked in the notification center. Then you need to select the “Add a device” item.
Now you need to turn on the headphones so that the indicator starts flashing. But before that, you should break the wireless connection of the headset with another device. After that, the name of the headphones will be displayed on the monitor, which you need to click on. “Connected” should appear. When you use the accessory again, the connection to the PC will be established automatically. If desired, you can turn off peripheral equipment by clicking on the button of the same name.
Using the Action Center
There is another simple way that answers the question of how to enable Bluetooth on a Windows 10 PC. To do this, you will need to use the “Notification Center”. You can find this pre-installed application in the right corner at the bottom of the screen.
- Having decided to connect in this way, the user will have to go through several steps:
- On the desktop taskbar, find the corner icon and open the “Notification Center”.
- After that, a pop-up menu will appear. You need to find the “Bluetooth” icon. If the list is not presented in full, then it will be necessary to click on the inscription “Expand”, which will allow all system parameters to be displayed.
- After clicking on the Bluetooth symbol, the button should change color and turn blue.
- After the specified algorithm is done, the wireless module will become active and will be ready to interact with the paired gadgets.
Turning Bluetooth On and Off in Windows 10 Settings
Having chosen this method of connecting wireless technology, you will need to do the following:
- Click on the “Start” button in the left corner or “Notification Center”.
- Then select the “Devices” icon.
- In the side list, switch to “Bluetooth”.
- Move the switch to the “On” position.
If you need to disable the module, you need to turn the slider to the inactive state by pressing it again.
Using Airplane Mode Settings
Airplane mode is usually present in the Notification Center. In some models, for example, HP, a hotkey on the keyboard – F12 – is provided to activate this function. Also, this option is contained among the controls.
To turn on Bluetooth using airplane mode, you need to open “Settings”, and then select the “Network and Internet” icon. When the mode is activated, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are automatically turned off. But on this settings page, you can connect and disconnect wireless devices.
Enable or disable hardware in Device Manager
If the Bluetooth control could not be found in the options menu or the notification center, you will have to use the “Device Manager”. If the wireless module cannot be found in this system application, then this may mean that the PC does not support this option or the adapter is in a disabled state.
To connect through the “Device Manager”, the user will be prompted to follow the following procedure:
Launch the application using the standard Windows menu. You can also use This PC program by right-clicking on Properties. After that, select the desired item from the list on the sidebar.
- In the list that opens, you need to find the word “Bluetooth”.
- Then select the device to pair from the list.
- After right-clicking, a context menu will appear in which you need to select the “Enable” option.
How to send or receive a file via Bluetooth from a computer
To interact with peripheral devices, including headphones, keyboards, speakers, a mouse, printers, and other equipment, Windows provides a wireless connection.
Also, this technology can be used to exchange files without the use of cables. Bluetooth can be found in the list of service tools. With the help of this module, the interchange of files with devices that are nearby becomes available.
To activate wireless communication to pair your computer with other gadgets, you must follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Open the Settings app using any of the methods described. For example, use the Start menu.
- The system menu will start, in which you need to select the “Devices” icon among other settings.
- In the side menu, switch to the “Bluetooth” tab.
- Move the slider to the working position so that the indicator turns blue.
- Click on the text link “Receive or send files”.
- In the opened window “Where can I send or receive files from”, you need to maintain a list of devices for the exchange.
After completing this algorithm, you will need to repeat the same steps from another device, confirming the pairing request. After clicking on the “Connect” button, you will be asked to compare the secret codes.
User Files are Exchanged as Follows:
Open File Explorer using one of the available methods. For example, you can get into it by using the This PC application.
- In the launched window, you need to go to the desired folder and find the file that you want to exchange. Right-click on it and select “Send” in the list of functions that appears.
- In the drop-down list, click on “Bluetooth Device”.
- Then you should click on the “Next” button and authenticate. This feature is marked with a checkmark.
- At the next stage, you need to select the files to send, and in the field with their names, use the “Browse” button to navigate to the folders.
- The computer will go into standby mode until it receives consent to the exchange. On the target device, click on the appropriate button to complete the file transfer process.
- After a notification appears that the transfer was successful, you need to click on “Finish” and close the window for transferring files.
After a successful exchange, it will be saved in the Downloads folder or in another directory if the storage location has not been changed in the “Sharing with nearby devices” section.
What to do if the Bluetooth does not Turn on at all?
If you encounter connection problems where you cannot pair devices, it is recommended that you reconnect the function. Also, do not forget about the range of the signal. The farther the gadgets are from each other, the weaker the wireless connection will be.
If the above methods did not help connect the wireless module, you will have to use the BIOS system. Depending on the laptop model, you will need to press the appropriate hotkey. Next, search for the tab called “Onboard Device Configuration”, then go to the “Onboard / Set Bluetooth” section. Here you need to set the value to “Enabled”.
Another way to troubleshoot Bluetooth is to use the command line. To do this, you need to call the “Run” window and follow this path:
- Hold down the combination “Win + R” on the keyboard.
- Write the command “services.msc” in the line and click on the “Enter” key.
- In the list that opens, find the Bluetooth support service and double-click on it.
- In the new menu, you should check the status and type of startup. They should be set to “Run” and “Manual”, respectively.
- If the service is not enabled, you must manually RMB select the “Start” action.
- If problems with enabling wireless technology are not resolved, you should make sure that the appropriate module is installed on your PC. Bluetooth should show up in the Device Manager list.
- If the tab is not found during the check, this may mean that the necessary drivers are not installed on the equipment. This is also indicated by the presence of an exclamation mark next to the adapter name.
When there is no Bluetooth tab on the computer, and there are no unknown devices in the list, then you will have to separately purchase a special adapter and connect the device via a USB connector.
On Windows 10, driver configuration will be done automatically, which older versions lack. To find out if this wireless module is built into your computer, see the model specifications. You can download drivers from the manufacturer’s website by selecting your model.
Thus, we received an answer to the question of how to turn on Bluetooth on a PC. We also found out that the connection process largely depends on the version of Windows OS. If your computer does not have a built-in module, you will need to purchase an external adapter.
In total, there are several ways to establish pairing: through the Device Manager application, Notification Center, and Settings. The simplest possible option is to use the shortcut icon located in the system tray. If the connection fails, it is recommended to check the versions of the installed drivers, and use the command line or the BIOS boot system.